Every Fall volunteers tag thousands of Monarchs as they fly through Arizona on their
migration to their overwintering sites. Tagging parties are scheduled in advance at
locations around the state where monarchs have frequented in the past.
Here is a list of exciting monarch events you can join! Contact
more detailed information. For tagging events in Elgin, Show Low and Sedona, be sure
to read the recommended list below.
- July 30, Saturday: High Country Hummer Festival at Sipe Wildlife Center outside of Eager.
Stop by the monarch table in the cool pines and let us know if you are attending so we can set
a time to get together! More info with specifics:
- August 11 to 19: New Mexico. Join us to learn about the fascinating monarch migration
and Citizen Science opportunities in New Mexico! See
this link for locations and times.
- September 1, Thursday: Arboretum at Flagstaff (Arizona) Learn how to tag 5:30 to 7:00 pm
- September 4, Sunday: Grand Canyon Butterfly Count & Monarch tagging. Join us at 8 a.m. at
Park Headquarters on the South Rim for an exciting day of counting butterflies and tagging
monarchs. For more information, email email@example.com
- September 11, Sunday: Join us for an exciting tagging event at Babacomari Ranch in Elgin,
AZ. Nestled in the Arizona grasslands and wine country, you won't want to miss our first tagging
event at this location! For more information, email
- September 17, Saturday: Special tagging event at Silver Creek Fish Hatchery outside of Show
Low, AZ. Meet us at 8 a.m. in the parking lot. Email us at
firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- September 25, Sunday: Join us for a morning of tagging monarchs at Red Rock State Park in
Sedona, AZ! Meet at 9 a.m. by the information center.
Things you need to know
Everyone who participates in a tagging event must complete a liability/photo release form.
Click here for pdf
or click here for Word,
print the form, fill it in and bring it along. The tagging leader will also have blank forms available.
Southwest Monarch Facebook page for
upcoming events and information. Scroll to "Events" at the top right. (You can see this page without being a Facebook member.)
Interested in joining in the fun? Here are some helpful hints to make your experience a success:
- Wear sturdy shoes that can get wet (NO sandals, please). Many tagging sites are near and in creeks.
- Long pants and a long sleeve shirt protect your body from scratches from desert bushes.
- Wear a hat and sunblock.
- Bring sufficient water, snacks and a sack lunch. Most tagging events last 3 to 6 hours.
- Don't forget your camera!
We leave promptly. Monarch butterflies are most active in the morning hours and their numbers vary
from year to year. Most areas should be filled with birds and other butterflies as well.
Please RSVP at email@example.com
Photo by Adriane Grimaldi